On women bishops

On Tuesday the Church of England (CofE) did, as we know, reject the idea of promoting women to its middle management layer (despite having had several as Chairman of the Board) because, although the majority voted in favour, the necessary threshold wasn’t quite reached.

Ordinarily I couldn’t care less about the membership and management structures of clubs of which I am not a member – with the exception of the odd midnight mass I parted company with the CofE over two decades ago – but, with 26 members sitting in the upper chamber of parliament and thus able to influence legislation, the CofE is hardly your normal private members club.

Given then that I and everyone else in the country is in some way affected by their actions, I have, as the Americans say, some skin in the game. I do therefore wonder why this branch of the state is allowed to maintain such a mindset when the state forbids other public organisations from doing so?

If however the CofE disestablishes itself from its parasitical host body then I will happily defend their right to be as 16th Century in their attitude to women as they please.

1. john77 says:

One of the reasons why the vote just missed the two-thirds majority in the House of Laity was the objection by hard-line feminists to opt-out provisions for the minority of parishes who could not, on their sincerely rigid interpretation of the Bible, women bishops. If the hard-line feminists had joined the moderates in the “yes” lobby the motion would have been passed.
    So which mindset do you wish to change? That of the old-fashioned devout Christians sticking to the Bible or the hard-line feminists who refuse to tolerate those who disagree with them?
    [FYI I am in favour of women bishops provided that they meet the standards demanded of male bishops]

As indicated in my last paragraph, my preferred option would be disestablishment as I don’t see the need for a state religion. Whether that happens or not, if the Anglican communion can’t find a united stance on women bishops or non-single man-single-woman marriage then I suggest that it schism as many times as necessary until each group is only comprised of people happy with their sects interpretation of imperfectly translated scripture.

• john77 says:

We don’t have a State Religion: just an Established Church, which is the worst of both worlds for the poor old CofE, which gets most of the responsibilities of a State Religion but few of the benefits.

2. Dave says:

People including women who believe the Bible should be locked up in mental institutions then beheaded.

That seems a rather extreme thing to say about people with genuinely held beliefs.

• Furor Teutonicus says:

Totaly agree. Why the Hel should “Government” get involved in peoples hobbys?

3. Stephen Nicholson says:

“If however the CofE disestablishes itself from its parasitical host body”

I would hold that. with the addition of the judiciary, the relationship is rather more symbiotic than parasitic. Such tripods exist in other societies (particularly for example in the Middle East) and where repression, however unconscious, provides a permanent fundament for its stability.