Unforeseen consequences

Millipede Jr is a miracle worker.

Yes, really.

As a result of his speech yesterday, and barring iDave saying something utterly insane in his conference speech next Thursday, I will, if I find myself living in a Labour/Conservative margin seat come the 2015 General Election, hold my nose, grit my teeth and do something I never thought I’d do again: vote for the Conservative candidate. I shall do this with the (admittedly slim) hope that my vote will, in some way, help stave off the possibility of a Labour government lead by Ed Milliband by reducing the number of seats won by that party.

May Zeus have mercy on my soul.

1. Curmudgeon says:

In a Labour/Conservative marginal, yes, very likely, but only on the basis of choosing bad over worse. And since I live in a safe Labour seat I will be voting UKIP in 2015 to boost their national vote share if nothing else.

There are some Conservative MPs such as Philip Davies and Steve Baker who I would be happy to vote for, but equally others such as Anna Soubry and Clare Perry who wouldn’t get my vote even if opposed by the most rabid Labour left-winger.

2. Single Acts of Tyranny says:

The lesser of two evils is still evil. Don’t vote for it.

Whist, yes, the Conservative party is hardly a shining beacon of small, liberal government, the pace of the descent into hell will, with them, be rather slower than it will be under a Millipede Jr led Labour government. In those circumstances I’ll take what I can get. :(

3. JuliaM says:

Well, SAOT, what other choice is there?

A party which appears to become more economically and socially conservative by the day? Hardly a rational choice in a Conservative/Labour marginal.

4. Bunny says:

To be honest giving the swine a bloody nose by voting UKIP at the Europeans is a good first move, see if they understand the difference between what the politicians think we should have and what we actually want. Somehow I doubt it.

Voting for UKIP in the European elections is a given – done simply as a protest and not in the expectation that anything will really change.

5. Dan H. says:

I personally sincerely hope that we don’t see Millipede in government. That last speech pledging to freeze energy prices is the sort of economically illiterate drivel that I had hoped had died out with the 1970s. I was born back in 1970; I can just about remember the closing years of that decade and oh boy, was that ever a shit decade!

Most of the unremitting shiteness was down to economic illiteracy on the part of Government; Thatcher is reviled by all true lefties not for a series of necessary economic reforms but for demonstrating once and for all how so many of the nation’s ills were government-induced by forming a government which didn’t do any of these things.

Those few minutes of millipede-drivel sent a shiver up my spine; could we really be in with a chance of being ruled by a man who needs to remove his shoes to count up to twenty? Let us all hope not.

Whilst having no memories of the pre-Thatcher period myself, what I have read is enough to convince me that I don’t wish to experience it first-hand – hence the decision outlined above.